This is a guide for setting up a manual UnmeteredVPN PPTP VPN connection on your Windows PC.
If your PC is running Windows 8 or 8.1, there is a slightly different step to reach 'Network and Sharing Center', please see the steps at the end of this guide for instructions.
- Click ’Start’ then select ’Control Panel’.
- Choose ‘Network and Internet’.
- Select ‘Network and Sharing Center’.
- To set up the VPN, select ‘Setup a new connection or network’.
- Choose ‘Connect to a Workplace’, then ‘Next’.
- Click ‘Use my Internet Connection (VPN)’.
- Enter one of the UnmeteredVPN VPN servers in the 'Internet address' field which you can find listed on the VPN Servers Page.
- Type a name for the VPN in the 'Destination name' field, and check the ‘Don’t connect now box. Then click ‘Next’.
- Type in your UnmeteredVPN user name and password, and press ‘Create’.
- Don’t connect yet - press ‘Close’.
- Select ‘Connect to a network’.
- Right click the network you just set up - select ‘Properties’.
- Select the Security tab and complete the following settings.
- Type of VPN - PPTP
- Data Encryption - ‘Require encryption’
- Check 'allow these protocols'
- Make sure only ‘MS CHAP v2’ is enabled
- Under the 'Networking' tab.
- Uncheck ALL apart from ‘Internet Protocol V4’ then click ‘OK’.
- Select ‘Connect or disconnect’.
- Select the VPN connection and click ‘Connect’.
- Ensure your Username is entered, and click ‘Connect’.
- You should now be successfully connected to the UnmeteredVPN VPN.
Windows 8 & 8.1
- Move your mouse to the bottom right of the screen and select ‘Search’.
- Type ‘Network and Sharing Center’ into the search box, and select it from the options.
- Continue now from Step 4 in the above instructions.